Jeremiah Delo

DELO Jeremiah, At 6 o'clock Tuesday, Dec. 17, Jeremiah Delo, a highly respected and esteemed resident of Altoona, Pa., died at his home, 1205 Sixteenth street, of diseases incident to old age. 'Me Altoona Tribune publishes the following facts in connection with his life: Jeremiah Delo was the son of Daniel and Christina Delo (deceased) and was born in Clarion county, July 3, 1830. He learned the trade of a carpenter, after receiving a common school education, at Meadville, Crawford County. He came to Altoona in April, 1858, and entered the employ of the Pennsylvania Railroad company as a carpenter. On April 1, 1863 Robert Pitcairn, superintendent of the Pittsburg division, appointed him weighmaster in this city. Here W. Delo worked as weighmaster until April 22, 1890 when he was made scale agent. The office was then removed to Twenty-fourth street, where it remained until April 1898 when it was removed to Juniata. Mr. Delo remained in charge of the office until he was retired by reason of the pension rules adopted by the company, on August 1, 1900, and since then he lived a quiet retired life. Mr. Delo when first appointed weighmaster did the work required of him with the assistance of three clerks. At the time of his retirement he had seventeen men under his charge, and 1,200 cars were weighed daily. He was in the service of the company for forty two years. Mr. Delo was twice married. In July, 1854, he married Nlilvina E. Lane at Meadville, Pa. She died in August, 1871, and in 1872 he married Charlotte T. Wendell, who survives with four children of the first union, as follows: William H., of Allegheny; Charles M., of Altoona; and Misses Eva and Hattie at home. He is also survived by these brothers: George W. Delo, of Springfield, Mo.; Herman L. Delo, of Altoona; Thomas B. Delo, of Ehnira, N.Y., and and Rev. Benjamin F. Delo, of Clarion, Pa., and one sister, Mrs. Abigail Page, of Clarion, Pa. In the death of W. Delo the church of his choice and the cause of religion lose a zealous, consistent and useful adherent. He was converted in January, 1850, at Clarion, uniting with the Methodist Episcopal church, in which retained an active membership until his death. He organized the first church choir in Clarion. When he came to this city, in 1858, he became a member of the First Methodist Episcopal church, with which he retained his connection until the beginning of 1860, when he became one of the charter members of the Eighth Avenue church, which was organized that year. He was a member of the building committee of the first house of worship; was superintendent of the Sunday school for several terms; a member of the board of stewards for many years and recording steward until a few years ago, when he asked to be relieved from its burdens. He was also a member of the present building committee of the Eighth Avenue church, and was its treasurer until a few weeks ago, when he resigned that position, although retaining his membership on the committee. He was very fond of music and was choir master of the First Methodist Episcopal church for many years and of the Eighth Avenue church from 1869 until 1889, when he resigned, much to the regret of the congregation. He was a consistent Christian gentleman, a good citizen and a useful man. The community is the richer for such a life. Altoona never had a better citizen than Jeremiah Delo. 

Contact information

Bryner Tree | Bryner History | Family History Homepage